Dear Bobcat Nation,
We are still reeling from the events that have unfolded over the last few days. With the amount of cases of COVID-19 increasing, we joined with other districts to close our campuses in order to give us the time to assess this situation, which continues to change on a day to day basis. With the chaos that continues to build, we feel incredibly blessed to live in a community that steps up to help and support those in need.
Superintendents across the State of Texas are meeting on a daily basis with the Texas Education Agency to determine what our next steps will be in regards to closures and online learning for their students. Nothing is definitive at this time, due to the fact that we are facing an event that is unprecedented. We understand that many of you have questions regarding what the future holds and we will address what we can at this time.
- Are Celina ISD Facilities open? No, Celina ISD buildings will not be open to students, parents, faculty or to the public during the length of the closure. All athletic facilities will not only be closed to our own teams, but to private team practices as well.
- Are extracurricular activities canceled? All field trips have been canceled for the year. School events such as music programs, academic and athletic competitions, and special events have also been canceled during closure. UIL has confirmed that all workouts and competitions for spring sports will be canceled through March 30th. They have already developed a contingency plan for all spring sports, however this plan is subject to change. Special Olympics Texas has suspended all sports training and competition activities through May 31, 2020. This includes State Basketball, Area Spring and Summer Games.
- Is PK-Kindergarten Registration postponed? Yes, registration was originally scheduled for April 2nd, but it will be rescheduled once the district is back in session.
- Will CISD transition to remote learning? The District is compiling information at this time regarding remote learning opportunities and have scheduled meetings with our principals and lead teachers this week. A plan for implementation will be provided to our parents no later than Monday, March 23rd at 9:00am.
- What if my child needs a device for remote learning? If you do not have a device at home, Celina ISD will distribute one device per household for students in the elementary grades. We ask that all K-5 parents complete the following survey. Please click here and fill out the Remote Learning Survey. Once we receive your completed survey, you will be emailed a pickup time. Sixth grade students will pick up their devices at the 6th grade campus on Thursday, March 19th, from 9:00am-1:00pm and 3:00pm-6:00pm.
- Will food service offer meals to students during closure? Yes. The District will be providing complimentary meals to CISD students currently enrolled in PK-12 grade starting Wednesday, March 18th from 11-1pm at Celina Junior High. Please click here and complete the Food Services Survey for each child in need of a lunch. Meals will be in the form of a grab/go bag. Students will need to supply their lunch number at the time of pick-up. (Walk up or curbside service will be available.) We will be dispensing meals on the west side of Celina Junior High campus. If you are unable to pick-up meals, please let us know. Also, Grace Bridge is responding to the concerns surrounding the coronavirus situation and will be offering by appointment only between 10:00-1:00pm on Wednesday, March 18th, and Friday, March 20th. Please click on the link provided to sign up for this service.https://www.gracebridge.us/i-need-assistance
- Will students be expected to take state mandated exams? Celina ISD was one of 62 districts who joined the effort to request that the STAAR requirements be waived. Yesterday, Governor Abbott announced that he will waive STAAR testing requirements for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Will we have to make-up these days? For the week of March 16-20, we will use our 2 already scheduled bad weather days and the district has 3 days “banked,” so we will not have to make up any time for this week. Beyond this week, we will follow TEA guidelines.
We will continue to post updates to our website and social media pages with any new information that we receive. We want to thank all of you for your support and understanding as we face the changes that must be made in order to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Mr. Rick DeMasters - firstname.lastname@example.org
Nancy Alvarez - Celina Primary School email@example.com
Starla Martin - Celina Elementary School firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacy Ceci - O’Dell Elementary School email@example.com
Kimber Kincaid - 6th Grade Center firstname.lastname@example.org
Russell McDaniel - Celina Junior High email@example.com
Dave Wilson - Celina High School firstname.lastname@example.org