As you are aware from recent news reports, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responding to a respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus known as COVID-19. The disease was first detected in Wuhan, China. Since the initial outbreak, the disease has been found in fifty countries.
Exposure to this disease comes from those that have recently traveled to China and/or have been in direct contact with individuals that have contracted COVID-19. Celina ISD has been in contact with Region 10, which is in the process of providing information to their school districts in response to the disease. At this time, there are 10 confirmed cases in Texas, but no suspected cases among the Celina ISD student/faculty population.
Celina ISD Health Services Coordinator Missy Tuinstra and staff are working closely with the Texas Department of Health Services (DSHS) for any updates concerning the disease and/or changes if needed to emergency protocol. Additionally, our custodial staff will continue their daily disinfectant procedures, to ensure that all frequently used surfaces have been sanitized to prevent the spread of illness causing germs within our facilities.
As this situation continues to evolve, we can all do our part to respond to this emerging public health threat. The CDC recommends the following everyday preventative actions to be used to avoid the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap is not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Do not share food or drink with those that are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and/or surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick. Please refer to Celina ISD health attendance guidelines for further information.
Celina ISD understands that in situations like this where media reports may cause concern throughout our families and community members, you can rely on us to provide you with up to date factual information from reliable sources. We will continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide additional information as it becomes available.
Superintendent of Schools
Celina Independent School District